So it’s the third week of the summer break from school and I’d describe myself as ‘surviving’.
Week one, I was clearly buoyed by a false sense of security. The kids were pretty chilled out and ready for a rest. ‘This is easy’ I thought. Beach time, a little TV, some lazy mornings.
Week two was hell on earth. It rained. The kids were little monsters. Both were poorly. The dog had fleas. I had my period. We cried. All of us. A lot.
Week three – Its a bit of a mixed bag. It’s only Monday, so a lot could happen.
Here are my findings thus far into the hols:
- There’s no point fighting it – just surrender. Surrender to the mess.
- Go outside. And stay there. Every day. I have two sons, and they need to be run like puppies. The beach is my friend.
- Don’t bother with clothes – kids in swimsuits. And then pyjamas. And then swimsuits again. They don’t really need washing do they……?
- Never, ever, go to the shops with the kids in tow. Ever. It will only end in tears.
- Expect to gain a few pounds in weight. Chips and ice cream anyone?
- Slow down. Embrace the pace. Don’t make plans. And definitely don’t make appointments. The stress of trying to get everyone there on time is the stuff of nightmares.
There’s still a few weeks to go.
Breathe deep. We can do this….